Kids and Quitting
Kids may not understand addiction but they can see how hard quitting is when a friend or family member is trying. Help kids understand what it means to quit and give them some ways they can help support the loved one.
- Quitting is hard and can make the quitter grumpy or moody; it’s not your fault.
- Kids can help a quitter avoid cravings and triggers by being a distraction (going for regular walks or inviting them to play time).
- Help celebrate the milestones with cards, treats, etc.
- Make a pledge to never smoke
- Tell them how happy they are that they are quitting.